Based in Prague, Czech Republic
Press / Business contact:
October 31 2017
Attentat 1942 is a unique video game that tells the story of Nazi occupation from the perspective of those who experienced it firsthand. The game is built on dialogues with survivors, interactive comics, and authentic historical footage. You will speak to eyewitnesses, live their memories, and discover the untold story of your family.
You discover that your grandfather was arrested by the Gestapo shortly after the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich, ruler of the Nazi-occupied Czech Lands and leading architect of the Holocaust. You struggle to discover why your grandfather was arrested after the attack. What role did he play in the attack? Why didn’t he tell his family? Was he brave or reckless to endanger their lives by becoming a resistance fighter?
You will experience a range of styles and dialogue-based gameplay features. The game includes interactive comics, rare digitized film footage, challenging mini-games, and cinematic-style interviews that have been researched and written by a team of professional historians.
- Dialog-based adventure game
- Based on historical research and testimonies
- Cinematic interviews with 8 different survivors
- Interactive comics
- Atmospheric and challenging mini-games
- Authentic historical footage
Gameplay Trailer YouTube
Charles Games is a studio focused on narrative games in unique settings. We enjoy coming up with innovative ways to explore serious themes. Attentat 1942 was originally developed by the Charles University and the Czech Academy of Sciences. It was completed by Charles Games, a team composed of the original game creators. The game is based on historical research and real testimonies, yet the characters in the game and their stories are fictitious.
Attentat 1942 is a significantly enhanced version of the game “Československo 38-89: Atentát” that was released in Czech language in 2015. The development was supported by the Czech Ministry of Culture (NAKI DF11P01OVV030) and the Technology Agency of the Czech Republic (GAMA TG01010108).
See full credits
Awards & Recognition
Awards gained by Attentat 1942:
- "A MAZE Awards" - Most Amazing Game, 2018
- "Independent Games Festival" - Finalist, 2018
- "Games for Change" - Best Learning Game, 2018
- "Czech Game of the Year" - Best Story, 2017
- "Czech Game of the Year" - Best PC and Console Game, 2017
- "Czech Game of the Year" - Game of the Year, 2017
- "Game Development World Championship" - Silver Medal, 2017
- "Game Industry News GOTY" - Best Story Elements in a Game, 2018
- "TIGA Awards" - Best Educational Game, 2018
- "Central & Eastern European Game Awards" - Hidden Gem, 2018